NASCAR 2018: Kevin Harvick Wins at Kansas

Kevin Harvick took home his second straight checkered flag under the Saturday night lights at the KC Masterpiece 400 in Kansas.

The driver of the No. 4 car started the race out front after winning the pole on Friday and stayed there for much of the race. He ceded the first two stage wins to Ryan Blaney and Kyle Larson, respectively, but made some well-timed pit stops to finish the race strong and push past Martin Truex Jr. in the last lap to take the win at Kansas Speedway.

"I think, as you look at the last couple of laps, it wasnít working for me on the bottom, and I was able to make up some ground on the top," said Harvick, who won for the third time at Kansas.

"I thought, if it came down to it, I could pass him on the bottom, because my car went through (Turns) 1 and 2 on the bottom, or I could drive through the middle of 3 and 4, but I just had to pick which lane. He wasnít going to choose, and he never chose the high lane, and we were able to drive right by."

The victory is Harvick's fifth of the season and second in a row; he won last weekend at Dover. The five wins are the most in a single season for him, and with 24 races still on the schedule in 2018, Harvick has a good chance to break that mark.

Until late in Stage 3, the only race cautions came from the stage breaks and the competition caution at Lap 30. That changed with a slew of late-race wrecks, one of which included two leaders, Blaney and Larson. The second crash of the night was even larger and involved William Byron and Ryan Newman, among others, and drew a red flag with fewer than 20 laps to go.

"Yeah, that one hurt really bad," Byron said, "but Iím fine. We took two tires there and couldnít get it turned on the bottom and then got sucked around at the last minute.

"That was definitely the hardest hit Iíve been in, but Iím thankful to be walking, so thatís good."